I mentioned this walk a few weeks back when I was writing about my experience at CAMP, but I’m so excited about it that I wanted to post it again with an update of all the cool people and places we’re visiting along the way! As a reminder, my friend Sonja asked me to contribute a reward to their Kickstarter for an exciting new coworking community that’s coming to the Arts District, The Unique Space. Of course I was excited to help Sonja in her quest to support the local creative economy, but I’ve also had a new walk itinerary brewing in my head and I was so excited to make it happen for such a great cause.
So, on Saturday, October 19 at 10:00 a.m., join me and Sonja as we lead a tour of Silver Lake. Some of the highlights include…
- Secret, hidden stairways (OF COURSE)
- Architectural gems by famous architects like Neutra and Schindler as well as some interesting buildings by not-so-famous architects
- The Corralitas Red Car property, a wilderness-like path through the heart of Silver Lake where a trolley used to run (and which will hopefully soon be a park)
- A foraging primer by the amazing Emily Ho of Roots & Marvel who will help us identify plants and show us some urban edibles
- A stop at the home of Deborah Murphy, urban designer and Los Angeles Walks founder, who lives in a gorgeous midcentury home by JD Davidson and RM Schindler
- A tour with Kathleen Johnson of the new Silver Lake Meadow Native Garden, a volunteer-run drought tolerant garden adjacent to the reservoir
- And many more surprises along the way!
How to sign up? Head over to the Kickstarter page and look for this reward–>
You’ll find it along the column on the right hand side of the page. When you pledge, you’ll need to pay $55 (your card will only be charged when the campaign ends) and be sure to pick that specific reward. Everyone who backs the campaign also gets a free two-day pass to experience The Unique Space once it opens!
Also, if you’re up for exploring another neighborhood, you can pledge at the $100 level and get TWO walks: mine, plus a special tour of the Arts District that Sonja’s leading with some friends.
You’ll get all the details about where to meet and what to bring in an email closer to the time of the event. And yes, we will be providing some special treats… you know me so well.
Update: If you want to come and haven’t paid, you can bring $55 cash or a check made out to “Unique, Inc.” Meet at the Silver Lake Library at 10:00 a.m.!