Hey there! My name is Alissa. I’m a writer, a gelato-eater, and a walker in LA.
How to get in touch
Follow me at @gelatobaby
Click on some recent posts
Read my articles elsewhere
I regularly write about design, architecture, cities, transportation and walking for several publications. You can read my latest stories here, or clicking on the publication will take you to all my articles for that publication. You can also read my favorite stories from 2011 and 2010.
- Dwell: Self Preservation
How a pair of intrepid Angelenos restored Rudolph Schindler’s iconic Bubeshko Apartments.
- Fast Company: Mad for Madison
Why tech startups—and the people who run them—are crazy for the Wisconsin capital.
- LA Weekly: Flattened L.A.
Can a penny-pressing machine by Diane Meyer save Los Angeles architecture?
- Wired: XOXO Loves Tech
A new Portland conference launches and breaks all the records—and the rules.
- GOOD: Car-free Freedom
Does surrendering your automobile in L.A. make you feel helpless or more independent?
- KCET Food: Kickstarting Restaurants
Some of L.A.'s most popular food experiences are being funded by people just like you.
- Designers and Books: Summer Reading
Four design books for poolside reading that are light but not fluffy.
- Dwell: Self Preservation
View my photos
Check out our next de LaB
Get to know my Los Angeles
- If you're coming to town (or even if you live here), check out my Guide to LA for Dwell, 27 of my favorite places in the city. You also may like my guide for where to take parents when they come to visit. I also love and highly recommend walking, biking and riding LA's transit system, here's how I do it.
Walk this way
Climb some stairs
Listen to DnA: Design and Architecture
Bring GOOD Ideas for Cities to your city or school
Enjoy some greatest hits
- Apple Picking: How my iPhone was stolen on the train
- LAX: 10 stories celebrating 10 years in LA
- Tourists Go Away: The best way to see the Hollywood Sign
- Enduring Spirit: Live-tweeting the LA Marathon
- Compostmodern In Rhyme: A Sustainability Poem
- It's a Sign: Why Happy Foot means Happy Neighborhood
- Turkey-less in Tucson: Thinking about Thanksgiving
- The Comeback Kids: Making a magazine in 48 hours
- Remembering John Chase: The king of public space
- 35 miles, 100 staircases: Finishing the Big Parade
- A New Product Launch: Unboxing the iPeep
- Field Research: A trip to Coudal Partners
- Walking the Red Carpet: Scenes from Oscarmania
- The Spanish Type: A stroll in Madrid
- Designers as Storytellers: How to create awesome design content
- Peep This: Easter with my favorite friends
- The Art of the Deadline: An essay on being finished
- Then There Was Obama: A history of campaign graphics
- Death of the Dream Job: On becoming a writer
- The Night Before Layoffs: A poem for LA
- Infinity and Beyond: The greatest calculus teacher
- Would It Help If I Got Out and Pushed?: Riding the bus as Princess Leia
- Feel the Burn: Running a 25K in Malibu
- Things Are Looking Up: My favorite NY buildings
- Mass Hysteria: Playing Ghostbusters in Manhattan
- Sbarro My Heart: Why I love Times Square
- Free-lanced: Why working on your own doesn't suck
- Great Job: On the set of Tim and Eric
- LOST For Real: My diverted flight to Scotland
- Seeing a Pattern: At the Marimekko factory
Read my work in these books (click to read or buy)
Activities I enjoy