Hey there! My name is Alissa. I’m a writer, a gelato-eater, and a walker in LA.
I'm currently loving my new role as Urbanism Editor at Gizmodo.
You can learn more about who I am, what I write, why I walk, and even see where I live and work. In 2010 I was honored to be named as an USC/Annenberg Getty Arts Journalism fellow. You also might like this talk I gave about how to do the work you love, or this New York Times article that featured me and other LA pedestrians.
How to get in touch
Follow me at @awalkerinLA
Click on some recent posts
Read my articles elsewhere
I regularly write about design, architecture, cities, transportation and walking for several publications. You can read my latest and greatest stories below, or clicking on the publication will take you to all my articles for that publication. You can also read my favorite stories from 2013, 2012, 2011 and 2010.
- New York Times
Night+Market Song: A Thai wunderkind serves up a second course.
Self Preservation: How a pair of intrepid Angelenos restored Rudolph Schindler’s iconic Bubeshko Apartments.
- Studio 360
Nobody Walks in LA: Why does this song from 1982 keep getting stuck in people's heads?
- Los Angeles Times
How Small Is Too Small?: An exhibition about micro-apartments shows us the LA of the future.
- Fast Company
Mad for Madison: Why tech startups—and the people who run them—are crazy for the Wisconsin capital.
- LA Weekly
Overdrive: Is our discussion of postwar Los Angeles architecture too focused on cars?
XOXO Loves Tech: A new Portland conference launches and breaks all the records—and the rules.
- DnA: Design and Architecture
The Future's So Bright?: Talking student debt with CalArts graduates
Bus-Riding Celebrities: Why don't more eco-savvy stars ride public transit?
- Los Angeles Magazine
Better Off Ped: A richer (and skinnier) writer on the perks of walking in LA
- Designers and Books
Summer Reading: Four design books for poolside reading that are light but not fluffy.
- New York Times
View my photos
Check out our next de LaB
Get to know my Los Angeles
- If you're coming to town (or even if you live here), check out my Guide to LA for Dwell, 27 of my favorite places in the city. You also may like my guide for where to take parents when they come to visit. I also love and highly recommend walking, biking and riding LA's transit system, here's how I do it.
Walk this way
Climb some stairs
Listen to DnA: Design and Architecture
Bring GOOD Ideas for Cities to your city or school
Enjoy some greatest hits
- Apple Picking: How my iPhone was stolen on the train
- LAX: 10 stories celebrating 10 years in LA
- Tourists Go Away: The best way to see the Hollywood Sign
- Enduring Spirit: Live-tweeting the LA Marathon
- Compostmodern In Rhyme: A Sustainability Poem
- It's a Sign: Why Happy Foot means Happy Neighborhood
- Turkey-less in Tucson: Thinking about Thanksgiving
- The Comeback Kids: Making a magazine in 48 hours
- Remembering John Chase: The king of public space
- 35 miles, 100 staircases: Finishing the Big Parade
- A New Product Launch: Unboxing the iPeep
- Field Research: A trip to Coudal Partners
- Walking the Red Carpet: Scenes from Oscarmania
- The Spanish Type: A stroll in Madrid
- Designers as Storytellers: How to create awesome design content
- Peep This: Easter with my favorite friends
- The Art of the Deadline: An essay on being finished
- Then There Was Obama: A history of campaign graphics
- Death of the Dream Job: On becoming a writer
- The Night Before Layoffs: A poem for LA
- Infinity and Beyond: The greatest calculus teacher
- Would It Help If I Got Out and Pushed?: Riding the bus as Princess Leia
- Feel the Burn: Running a 25K in Malibu
- Things Are Looking Up: My favorite NY buildings
- Mass Hysteria: Playing Ghostbusters in Manhattan
- Sbarro My Heart: Why I love Times Square
- Free-lanced: Why working on your own doesn't suck
- Great Job: On the set of Tim and Eric
- LOST For Real: My diverted flight to Scotland
- Seeing a Pattern: At the Marimekko factory
Read my work in these books (click to read or buy)
Activities I enjoy